A to Z Theme 2016

For my 2016 A to Z theme I used a meme that I ran across on the blog of Bridget Straub who first saw it on the blog of Paula Acton. This meme is a natural for me to use on my memoir blog. It's an A to Z concept and it's about me. No research and nothing complicated. I'm given twenty six questions or topics to discuss that are about me.

In April I kept my posts short and uncomplicated. In the midst of it all you might learn a few things about me that you didn't previously know.

Friday, April 10, 2015

Imagination (Elements of Memoir) #AtoZChallenge


      Imagination is an essential element of all good writing.   How you say something is just as important as what you are saying.   A memoir should never be a dull recounting of a series of events or emotions, but the writing should be infused with rich metaphors, vivid descriptions, and unique phrasing.  As in fiction, the writing in memoir should be kept interesting in order to keep the reader engaged.   Good memoir needs to be written with imagination present.

     Our life stories should contain more than just bodies and action.  We go through life with our minds working and the memoir should reflect our states of mind and courses of thought during our times of action and inaction.  When you do something in the story let the reader know details about your motivation for doing the action and what you were thinking as you did it.  Round out everything by including body and mind.   Usually this will take using your imagination as well as your memory.

      In some stories the imagination can play a foremost role.   There are times when you might think of yourself as being similar to the title character in James Thurber's "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty".  In this story Walter Mitty goes through a mundane life while playing out amazing fantasies in his head.  Don't we all do this to some extent in our lives?   We imagine the worst that could happen or the best that we might like to happen.  We dream up all sorts of fanciful scenarios that accompany the actions we are doing in actual life.

        Don't forget to include some of these daydreams in your memoir story if they help liven up the action.  These imaginary scenes can make for nice comic relief as well as contrast to the reality of your life as it was or is.    Imagination is your friend and a bit of friendly fun for your readers.

        Do you tend to daydream?    Have you ever worried yourself to a frenzy by imagining the worst scenario?    When you are reading a memoir to you like to know about the writer's thoughts during actions being described?

6 comments:

  1. I do daydream quite a bit. But I overthink to the point of crushing anxiety/panic attacks which is taking a huge toll on my health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often will over think to unreasonable limits. I'd rather just fantasize about fun things.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Huge daydreamer here.
    I like to think of the worst case scenario before I attempt anything. It's always good to know what could go wrong. I don't stress about it though. If I have to stress over it than it isn't worth thinking about.

    Bushman
    2015 A to Z Challenge Ambassador
    @jwb81074

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to be imaginative enough to consider options rather then just jumping in only to end up with a massive fail.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. The memoirs I like are the ones where the person comes to life. Where they show what they are feeling and I interpret their actions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like those as well. It's good when the memoir reads like a vivid come-to-life story in which I can feel a part.

      Lee

      Delete

Tell your story. Express your thoughts. We want to hear from you. This blog no longer accepts comments from "Anonymous"--That guy is really starting to bug this blog. If you want to leave me a comment then please register if you aren't already--it's easy to do and I really want to hear from you.

Arlee Bird